Monday, December 3, 2018

my first umrah part 1

I have never imagined that I would answer His call and set my feet on the sacred land at the age of 25, alhamdulliah, thanks to my parents for bringing me there as a gift for passing medschool. Indeed, this is the greatest gift ever. My umrah journey started on 17 nov to 28 nov 2018. 7 days in Mecca and 5 days in Medina. I just came back from Medina like a week ago. So I would like to share how it feels like to be there for the first time, inshallah this shall not be my last time, ameen. If it was the first and last, may Allah accept all my ibadah and place me in the good place in the akhirah. 

Before going deep into the story in Mecca and Medina, the first thing that is very important in every trip is of course preparations, physically, mentally and spiritually. As for physical preparations, things that is really tiring and requiring lots of energy in umrah is saie. Especially for the eldest, it might be easy pessy for us youngsters to complete 7 trip of saie, from safa to marwah, marwah to safa, but for the eldest trust me it is tiring. In our last umrah, my father required someone to push him with a wheelchair, paid 100 SR for it. My mother who is obese and has knee osteoarthritis some more, getting slower and slower towards the end of the umrah. We did 3 umrah overall. 2 months before going for umrah, in September, my mother and I started to do morning walk every weekend so that our body will not become shock doing saie for the first time. It had been our weekend morning routine. I think it helps, not a lot lah, but okaylah, at least our legs can withstand during saie. 

As for spiritual, I think most of us know. Apart from go to kursus umrah and do a lot of reading, do solat sunat taubah, seek forgiveness from Allah and people around, go pay your debt to people, do a lot of prayers, seek for Allah's help to ease everything during umrah. And for mental, it is currently winter season in Saudi Arabia. It was so cold in Medina. Malaysia is way hotter than Medina. So cold till my skin dried so much, we didnt even dare to switch on the air conditioner. 

Other than that, preparations to packing the clothes and personal thingy. No need to bring lots of clothes, theres laundry there in the hotels, and if you dont want to use the service, just wash yourself lah, trust me, it doesnt take much time to dry. 

Walking to Masjidil Haram. The white building in front is the Masjidil Haram. 


MECCA: 17 NOV - 23 NOV 2018 

We departed from KLIA at 1030 am  Malaysia time, and arrived Jeddah around asr Saudi Arabia time. Couldnt recall the exact time. Arriving Jeddah, we straight away took the bus to Mecca, arrived the hotel at 700pm + already isyak time there. Our hotel is about 200 metres away from Masjidil Haram. We already recite the niat umrah inside the plane, 1 hour before arriving Jeddah, the place for miqat from Malaysia is called Qarnul Manazil. People from different parts of the world, have different place for miqat. If already in Haram land (Tanah Haram), the miqat is at the Tanah Halal like Tanaim, Hudaibiyah and Jaaranah. Yes, we have learned this all during school years, but I only understand it well after going to kursus umrah hehe. 

When I first landed my feet on the Haram land, I was so amazed looking at thousands of people from all over the world come to perform umrah, answering to His call. We come from different races, colours, cultures and background, all came here with the same purpose, to submit the almighty Allah SWT. 

Picture of Kaabah in the morning. I forgot to take the night view. 
Mecca Day 1
Arriving the hotel, after getting our room keys, performing maghrib and isyak prayer, and cleaning ourselves, we perform our first umrah in a group. Every group will be lead by a mutawwif, provided by the travel agency. So this mutawwif, is actually like a guider, he will lead us performing the umrah, showing us the area around Mecca and Medina, telling us the story of each historical places while during ziarah and many more. Like I said before, the distance between my hotel to Masjidil Haram is about 200m, took about 5-10 minutes. As I walked to the masjid, I felt some kind of mixed feeling. First, I was afraid if Allah blinded my eyes that I couldnt see the greatness of Kaabah, I heard somewhere this one man couldnt even see the Kaabah even he's actually standing right in front of it, he did solat taubah then, and pooofff there you go, he saw the Kaabah then. Second one, I heard in kursus umrah, the first time you see Kaabah, if tears go down your cheeks, your eyes will be saved from the hellfire. Ive been praying for this things to happen. I really really wanted to feel moved when I see the Kaabah for the first time. I really am.

There are many doors to enter masjidil haram. Gate 79, King Fahd Gate, if you enter the masjid thru this door, you can see the Kaabah right in front of you after few metres walk. That night we entered thru gate no 88. It was 10 pm Saudi time, many people were still inside and outside of the masjid. Some slept on the floor outside the masjid, usually Indians and Pakistani. Upon entering the masjid, my heart felt like wanted to explode, my eyes were busy searching for Kaabah, my lips kept on mumbling please Allah let me see the Kaabah and let the tears flows, my legs just followed the mutawwif, going down the escalator, and finally right in front of me was the holy Kaabah. Mashaallah. This thing I only see on tv before, is finally right in front of me. I suddenly felt moved, out of sudden tears started rolling down, but not much enough to wet my cheeks, but alhamdulliah. 

So, performing umrah, there are 5 rukun umrah. Niat, tawaf, saie, tahallul and lastly tertib. We already niat at Qarnul Manazil, and now was the time for tawaf. 7 times around the Kaabah. For the first time, I could witness Maqam Ibrahim, Hijr Ismail, Hajarul Aswad, Pancuran Emas by my own eyes. Finish the 7 round, then performing the solat sunat tawaf, drank air zam zam, followed by saie. We started saie around midnight, as my parents couldnt walk fast, and I need to follow their pace, we finished an hour later, tahallul which is cutting at least 3 strands of hair, and return back to hotel at 2 am. Subuh in Mecca is quite earlier than Malaysia. We had only about 2 hours to rest before fajr. 

This is how it looks like if you enter masjidil haram thru gate 79. King Fahd Gate. You can see Kaabah from here. 

Mecca Day 2
As we had about 7 days in Mecca, we performed umrah in every other day meaning day 1, day 3, day 5, and day 6 is optional. The other days were free time, so we were given time to do whatever we like. Some went to the masjid, to iktikaf, performing more ibadah, some went sight seeing around Mecca, and some went for shopping. I started my second day in Mecca with solat subuh jemaah. In Mecca, during subuh , azan will be recited 2 times, the first one is 1 hour before the actual time. Even it was still 45 minutes before subuh prayer, the masjid was already filled with people. The places right in front of Kaabah were already fulled. I didnt discover upstairs prayer area yet this time, so I just prayed on the hallway right beside the zam zam container. In Mecca, you can pray everywhere around the masjidil haram, but not in Medina. After the subh prayer, we (my father and I) decided to do tawaf sunat. There are many tempat mustajab doa around the kaabah such as makam ibrahim, hijr ismail, under the pancuran emas and multazam. Alhamdulliah, we managed to pray in front of the multazam. I hope all my prayers were readily accepted by Him. Ameen. 

Then, we went back to hotel. One of the things that I love to see while in Mecca was the pigeons. There were so many of them! What a majestic view! I have recorded some videos of many flock of pigeons flying, ada dekat my instagram in the highlight area if you wanna see hehe.
Hungry pigeons. 

The food provided by the hotel were all nice. I think the cook is either Malaysian or Indonesian. Memang kena betullah dengan tekak melayu. Bare in mind, in Haram land you have to watch out your mouth. No bad talking. Only talk good things. For example, you get bad food, do not try to say any bad words, just eat them all. During nenek last umrah, she did complained on her food, you know what happen then? Food never taste better till the last day she's in Mecca. Same goes to the weather. No matter how hot it is, just bare with it. Dont complain, ya Allah panasnya. Trust me, you will feel hot throughout your stay, based on other people experience. 

Day 2 in Mecca ended well. We did go sight seeing around Zam Zam Tower. Actually we were looking for Saji restaurant that is owned by Malaysian, thought it is in the zamzam tower, rupanya in Safwa Tower. Only in day 3 ke day 4 tah we did finally find it! Food tastes nice in Mecca especially kebab and nasi arab. Not to forget, ice cream too! Some say ice cream in Mecca is the best in the world. Yeke? Haha. 

---------------------------------------To be continued---------------------------------------

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Tһanks for the information!

Anonymous said...

Τhere is defіnitely lots to learn about this topic.
I just like all the tips you gave.

Anonymous said...

One of my favoгite web blogs to read through in the morning with a ⅾrink of coffee !

Anonymous said...

Probably one of my fɑvorіte websites to loоk through when starting the day with a cup of coffee
of course!

travelkida said...

Umrah Packages Assalamualekum, JazakAllah Khair for this informative blog. May Allah bless you with this consistent knowledge and help you grow as well as others grow by reading from it. umrah packages from delhi